Get ready for the Discovery East Coast Radio Big Walk…
Event co-ordinators of the Discovery East Coast Radio Big Walk are confident that all logistics and planning are in place to ensure the event on Sunday 26 May 2013 runs smoothly. More than 33 000 walkers will wind their way along from uShaka Marine World to People’s Park at Moses Mabhida Stadium. The different distances will start at different times.
In week before the event walkers need to collect t-shirts, race numbers and goodie bags at the registration and expo at the underground parking at Moses Mabhida Stadium. The three day expo and registration runs from 10h00 to 20h00 on Thursday 23 and Friday 24 May and from 09h00 to 12h00 on Saturday 25 May. Remember to take along your reference number confirmation to collect everything at registration.
There is a PSL League Decider Match, Sharks and Bulls game and the Nedbank Final happening at and in the vicinity of the stadium on the Saturday, so walkers are encouraged to rather to use the extended registration times on Thursday and Friday.
Treble Group Managing Director, Kyle Nel says, “As the organisers of the Discovery East Coast Radio Big Walk, we are proud to see thousands of walkers “tagging along” to this year’s event. We are expecting high volumes of people on event day, so please remember to plan your parking as there will be various road closures and additional safety officers in place, to ensure all walkers have a safe and enjoyable experience.”
The road closures are as follows:
Masabalala Yengwa Avenue (formerly NMR) south bound between Smiso Nkwanyana Road (Goble) to Sandile Thusi Road (Argyle) will be closed from 05h00 until 12h30. The north bound section of Masabalala Yengwa from Sandile Thusi Road to Isaiah Ntshangase Road (Walter Gilbert) will also be closed during that period.
Other road closures that will come into effect from 06h00 to 12h30 are:
1) Snell Parade from Athlone Drive to Battery Beach Road.
2) Athlone Drive between Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Ave and Snell Parade
3) M4 (north bound) offramp to Athlone Drive
4) M4 (south bound) offramp to Athlone Drive
5) M4 (south bound) onramp to Riverside Road (for 15km & 20 km walkers) [Roadway open to traffic at 11h30]
6) M4 (north bound) onramp to Riverside Road (for 15km & 20 km walkers) [Roadway open to traffic at 11h30]
7) Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Avenue (south bound) two lanes from Athlone Drive to Smiso Nkwanyana (Goble) Road – All vehicles to go west upon Smiso Nkwanyana (Goble) Road
Walkers are reminded that they need be at their respective starts 45 minutes prior to the start time. You can park at designated areas near the finish area of Moses Mabhida stadium and catch a free shuttle bus to the start. Alternatively you can park at Parking A and C at uShaka Marine World and catch a shuttle bus from the finish back to the start area after the event.
If you’d like any further details on registration, road closures and routes visit www.ecr.co.za.
(Source - ECR)
Wendy Oldfield is performing tonight 7h30pm at St Clements Coffee Shop, Musgrave Road.
Tickets R100 at the door. Tel: 031-2022511
If you are going please take a blanket with and drop it off for Twitter Blanket Drive.
Updated list of drop off venues for Twitter Blanket Drive 2013 #TBD2013
- St Clements - Musgrave Road, Durban
- Europa - Florida Road, Durban
- The Sharkcage, Sharks Rugby Stadium, Durban
- Wakaberry Branches, Florida Road, Westville, Durban North, Umhlanga, Ballito
- Hirsch's Stores - Countrywide
- Fire & Ice Hotel - Cape Town
- Fire & Ice Hotel - Melrose Arch, Jozi
- Mandini Spar - North Coast
Drop off a blanket and tweet the pics using the hashtag #TBD2013
(Source - Twitter Blanket Drive)