NEW TASTES…NEW FACES FOR TASTE OF DURBAN 2014
The Pick n Pay Taste of Durban is back from Friday 25 to Sunday 27 July at Suncoast Casino & Entertainment World (Suncoast). Chefs from eight of Durban’s top restaurants will create special menus of starter-sized dishes, including their signature dishes, designed to reflect their individual philosophies, whilst showcasing seasonal and premium ingredients. Taste of Durban 2014 promises to be the most exciting ‘foodie’ event of the year.
Marcelle Roberts from Café 1999 is back for the third-year running with her inimitable brand of casual cuisine. Louise Potgieter from Havana Grill at Suncoast and Little Havana and Chef Nardia Adams, from Asian Tapas spot Greedy Buddha, will be cooking up a storm and Lucy Markewicz will be flying the colours for Freedom Café. Popular Indian restaurant Amaravathi Palki, Market and Beluga, brings the total of participating restaurants to eight.
Over three days, this unique international restaurant festival will bring together Durban’s most dedicated and sophisticated foodies in an
al fresco, fine-dining celebration. Visitors will have the opportunity to sip, sample and shop their way around the festival. This year’s show offers a range of brand new features and culinary experiences, to ensure that there is something for everybody to enjoy:
_ One of the show’s most popular attractions, the Pick n Pay Fresh Living Chef’s Theatre, where top chefs showcase their culinary skills in fun and informative cooking demonstrations, culinary challenges and entertaining Q & A sessions, is a unique opportunity to see the city’s top chefs in action and is also a chance to meet the people behind the award winning Fresh Living magazine.
- The Pick n Pay Wine and Canapé Experience, is an interactive area where guests will learn how to create simple, stylish and delicious canapés, while being instructed by wine experts on how to pair each canapé with a wide range of wines to complement the balance of flavours.
- LINDT, South Africa’s finest Swiss chocolate, will have their Master Chocolatiers on hand making delicious LINDOR truffles and fresh pralines. LINDT will also be selling their delectable EXCELLENCE and CREATION ranges, as well as LINDT hot chocolate, which can be enjoyed outside in the LINDT Al Fresco area.
The Chocolatiers will also be demonstrating their master skills, as they build and decorate intricate chocolate sculptures, in the Chefs Theatre.
- Castle Milk Stout Experience - Castle Milk Stout will bring a taste experience to be savoured. A marquee including a lounge area with ambient smooth sounds of our DJ and a tasting experience that shows the full credentials of the full and complex flavours of our product and its pairing with food.
- Robertson’s Butcher’s Block in association with Big Green Egg - A gastro theatre dedicated to all things meaty. Chefs will collaborate with local butchers to harness Robertson’s 90 years of sourcing and blending spices. Your braai will never be the same again as you create a Robertson’s Combination that comes alive with these versatile rubs. All dishes will be prepared in The Big Green Egg, which rethinks the South African braai, using the ancient clay cooking technique ‘Kama do’. Featuring in the Butcher's Block is Certified Karoo Meat of Origin - mutton and lamb guaranteed to be free range, fully traceable from the Karoo region, free from added hormones and routine antibiotics.
- BP Wild Bean Café- Two millions cups of Wild Bean Café coffee are sold and enjoyed every year. BP Wild Bean Cafés use only 100% top-quality Arabic beans - sourced from Tanzania, Gautemala, El Salvador and Brazil – offering the best combination of sweetness, acidity and bitterness. At Taste of Durban, our Wild Bean Café Baristas will hand-make your favourite coffee, latte or hot chocolate to perk you up and keep you going!
EARLY BIRD OFFER – VALID UNTIL 3 JULY!
The following Early Bird discounts apply for Standard and Premium tickets up until the 3 July:
- Early Bird Standard Entry – *R50 - Entrance to the festival including a glass (save R30)
- Early Bird Premium Ticket – *R150 - Entrance to the festival
including a tasting glass plus R100 worth of Scoins (the official
currency) *save R30
- DStv Clubhouse Ticket- R685 - entry to the festival, a free tasting
glass, R150 Scoins, a private clubhouse to use as a base for the show with a complimentary bar service (wine, malt and soft drinks) plus a Taste of Durban Gift.
Taste of Durban Festival SCOINS
Scoins are the Festivals’ official “currency”, which can be purchased at the festival from the Taste Bank or Scoin Sellers walking around the festival grounds. Visitors use Scoins to purchase sample dishes and drinks from the various exhibiting restaurants, bars and exhibitors. Each Scoin is worth R5. Change is offered in Scoins only.
Media Enquiries: Joanne Hayes, Tumbleweed Communications
Cell: 083 6277249 e-mail: email@example.com
TASTE OF DURBAN 2014 – FAST FACTS
What, Where, When, How…
- Friday 25 July: 18h00 - 22h00
- Saturday 26 July: 12h30 – 16h00; 18h00- 22h00
- Sunday 27 July: 12h30 – 16h00
Tickets are limited and booking is recommended – for further information and bookings visit ITickets on www.itickets.co.za or Pick n Pay tickets on www.pnptickets.co.za
- Standard Ticket – *R80 - Entrance to the festival including a glass
- Premium Ticket – *R180 - Entrance to the festival including a
tasting glass plus R100 worth of Scoins (the official currency)
- Taste Clubhouse Presented by DStv Ticket - R685 - entry to the festival, a free tasting glass, R150 Scoins, a private clubhouse to use as a base for the show with a complimentary bar service (wine, malt and soft drinks) plus a Taste of Durban Gift.