UMHLANGA LIFE - THE ONLINE LIFESTYLE MAGAZINE

Weather

DURBAN WEATHER

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Interview with Author and Blogger @danielalex_book


Welcome to this issue of Umhlanga Life.
This week we have a treat for you, we interview the writer and blogger Daniel Alexander.


Follow him on Twitter @danielalex_book

Ten Questions With Daniel Alexander.

1.  Tell us about your blog?

 I mostly blog about topics relating to my book: parenting, growing up, children, writing, the mind (something that as a society we don’t pay enough attention), marketing and communication. I also do very unusual author interviews. Don’t you get bored of the same old same old interview questions, such as “How long did it take to write you book?” The sad thing is, often it’s authors interviewing other authors, and if that’s how creative you can be in writing, I can’t imagine how good your book can be… Thus, I think of very imaginative questions to ask people. In addition, sometimes I blog about the most random stuff. This past Sunday was “Sunday madness.” I was designing a poster and I’m not a designer. So all this stuff was just coming to my head, in my design process, and I blogged about it all. Those posts provided many good laughs. Here is a link to Sunday madness http://daniel-alexander-book.blogspot.com/2012/10/sunday-madness.html


2.  What advice do you have for bloggers?

Have fun with your blog. I think there is a misconception that there is loads of money to be made on the internet. “Build it, and he will come.” The reason I bring that up is, it seems as if many people want to make millions on a blog. Rather do it for fun. If you do get a lot of traffic great. The purpose of my blog is to share information about my book, and just get some random stuff out.

3.  Noticed that you are an author, tell us about your latest book?

Why thanks you for noticing. My book is a story of growing up. I didn’t have a great childhood and as a result I have researched the way children are growing up today. I know it’s often difficult for parents to accept or acknowledge that something is wrong. Nevertheless, the statistics show that something, somewhere has gone awry. So my book is my story of growing up and all the lessons that I wished I had learned, all from the perspective of a child. Communication is supposed to be a two-way street. However, for a long time society adopted the attitude of, “children are to be seen and not heard.” Unfortunately, we are seeing the ripple effects of that now. That’s why I’ve written everything from the perspective of a child. I want to share the voice of a child in a way that many people can understand and relate to.

4.  Where is your favourite place to hang out in Durban?

The beach

5.  Which book do you love and why?

This is going to sound clichéd, however, I have to say my book. I don’t have any real connection with any other book out there. There are a lot of books that I like; lots of good material out there to read: The Shining by Stephen King, Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. My book though, because of what I learned while doing it. So, I’m not just saying it because it’s mine, I’m saying that because I learned a lot from writing it.

6.  What advice do you have for writers who want to market their books?

When I figure out the answer to that, I’ll let you know…

7.  How do you use Twitter?

Usually with a keyboard J

8.  Tell us about your favourite movie.  Why do you love it?

Let me think… I’m going to say The Other Guys. Man that was too funny! Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg are hilarious together. I love Will’s acting style. He’s such an idiot.  I have no idea how he says some of the absolutely absurd rhetoric he had to say, with a straight face. Tuna that hunts lions… Really?

9.  Name 3 interesting websites that you have seen recently?

http://foundmagazine.com/
Today I killed four people and a clown...
Can’t think of any more interesting sites at the moment.


10.  Do you know the moves to Gangnam Style?

No, no I do not. I Googled it now. I didn’t actually know the name to the song. I’ve heard it on the radio. However, I thought he was saying, “Condom style.” That kind of goes with the song because other parts of the song go, “Heeeeey, sexy lady.” So it’s like, “Hey sexy lady, come back to my place and let’s do it condom style.” I’ve had this song stuck in my head all day long now. East Asians are crazy. Go them!

                                                             
                                                                  His Latest Book

Useful links for the Author Daniel Alexander:

Fax: 086 232 5217

Well I hope you enjoyed that interview Dear Readers.

This is all part of a blogging tour where famous bloggers from around SA are being interviewed.
You can read his interview of Fred Felton here

Interview by @fredfelton    












No comments:

Post a Comment