This Thursday I attended the World Premiere of the South African Film
Elelwani at the Supernova at Suncoast. It is always wonderful to watch a film
when there is a packed house in.
The Director Ntshavni wa Luruli was in attendance and he told us all
that this has been a long journey for him. It took over 10 years to make this film.
This is the first Venda production in cinema history. Shot in some wonderful
locations in Limpopo, it tells the tale of a young woman (Florence Masebe) who
lives in the world of today. However she gets drawn back into the rituals
and culture of the Venda people by her Parents.
Beautifully shot by Cinematographer Lance Gewer one gets a different
viewpoint of the cultures and traditions of the Venda people.
There is some wonderful music in this movie and the soundtrack is brilliant.
It really does add another dimension. You almost find yourself in a surreal
landscape. Almost as if David Lynch went to Africa.
Next Screenings of this Film at @DIFFest
6pm Ekhaya 21 July
10am Suncoast 23 July
7pm Musgrave 29 July
Review by - Fred Felton
There are many more movies coming up so go down to Suncoast or
Musgrave or Cinema Nouveau and check out the various options for you
at this Film Festival.
For those of you that are interested in Acting, Directing, Producing, Editing
and more in Film go down to the Blue Waters Hotel and attend the various
free workshops on offer.
Here are just a few we can suggest:
- Sunday July 22 - 11h15 - NFVF Scriptwriters Training
- Sunday July 22 - 2pm - Africa in Focus - Training opportunties for African filmmakers
- Sunday July 22 - 15h30 - How to attract Press and Publicity, learn about film reviewing
- Monday July 23 - 11h15 - How to navigate international markets and festivals
- Monday July 23 - 2pm - Broadcasters discuss their commissioning briefs and request for proposals
(Source - @DIFFest)