The Discovery East Coast Radio Big Walk that takes place on 22 May 2016. You have been training for it right?
The annual event brings together people for a morning of exercise and great memories. Exercise improves heart health, lowers blood pressure, helps reduce cholesterol and blood glucose, helps to burn fat and maintain weight. Walking is low impact and a refreshing form of low intensity exercise.
All four routes get underway at different times from uShaka Marine World and all 30 000 walkers will cross the finish line at People’s Park, Moses Mabhida Stadium.
Lifestyle and fitness expert, Lisa Raleigh, has these tips to make sure you’re well prepped!
1. Get advice. Talk to your doctor first before starting a new fitness programme, especially if you haven’t exercised for a long time.
2. Choose wisely. Correct walking shoes are light and fit comfortably. Walking long distances can put strain on different parts of your body, so it’s good to invest in quality footwear for both your training and the walk. Check that they fit properly and wear them in before the big day to avoid blisters.
3. Dress smart. Wear comfortable, light, breathable clothes to avoid chafing.
4. Drink up! Hydrate well and make sure you eat something an hour before you train or do the walk.
5. Walk wisely. Keep a brisk pace to elevate your heart rate, but stay in a comfortable walking pace where you can still talk and not gasp for air.
6. Chin up! Maintain good posture during your walk. Keep your chest up to avoid slouching.
7. Don’t forget to stretch.
8. Round up the troops. If you just can’t get going with your training schedule, find a walking buddy or join a club!
This week, people who have signed up for the event will be able to collect the race packs (that includes the event T-shirt, goodie bag and race number) from the underground parking area at Moses Mabhida Stadium on the following days:
Thursday 19 May 10am – 7pm
Friday 20 May 10am – 7pm
Saturday 21 May 10am – 2pm
If you have registered at a participating Totalsports store, you would have received a reference number. Please bring this reference number to Moses Mabhida Stadium to collect your race pack. If you registered online, please take along your confirmation of entry.
Companies that have registered 10 or more of their staff can send a representative to collect race packs but they need to provide proof of payment.
There will be loads of fun for the whole family at the Discovery East Coast Radio Big Walk on 22 May 2016. Find out more at www.ecr.co.za
Article by Fred Felton