The Playhouse Company will hold auditions on 19 February 2013 from 10 am, for the production entitled "Si Right!" to be staged as part of The Playhouse Company Schools Programme.
Si Right! is about a teenage boy, Thuso, and his younger sister, Thandeka, who set out from their village on a quest to seek understanding. It is a production with song and dance aimed at senior primary learners, with a strong focus on instilling positive behaviour in kids and inspiring them to make the right choices in life.
Aspirant performers should be of a professional standard, well experienced and must be able to act, sing and dance as well as have a good command of isiZulu and English. All performers should be able to play variety characters.
The script is written by Gisele Turner and Mthandazo Mofokeng and will be directed by Zeph Nzama.
• Thuso: 15 year old boy (brother) - He is fit, slender and good looking. He has a good nature and understands his responsibilities.
• Thandeka: 13 year old girl (sister) - She is a well-brought up girl, slender, attractive, with strong long legs and pretty features.
ALL THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERS ARE PLAYED BY THE OTHER TWO PERFORMERS
• Nkosi: The Chief of the Village - He is the Old Man of the Village, the authority.
• Ma: The Wise Woman of the Village - She is the Old Woman of the Village, the Matriarch.
• Maatla: The King’s Bodyguard - Strong, lithe, intelligent, kind and authoritative.
• Mandla: The King’s Bodyguard - Strong, lithe, intelligent, kind and authoritative.
• The King: body puppet
• Eye: Giant Mask - Bouncy, Jamaican rhythm, reggae rhymer.
• Ear: Giant Mask - American style rapper with isiZulu rapid-fire commentary.
• Nose: Giant Mask - A Comedian with a little stand-up routine.
• Tongue: Giant Mask - A movement piece with lots of sound effects.
• Touch: Two Giant Hands A rolling rhyming poem with lots of Hand Gestures.
• Master-Mind: a gangster - Brash, shameless, manipulative, conniving, expansive, takes pleasure in seeing people fall prey to his Games.
• Side-Kick: his sidekick - the Small Voice of Conscience: kind, forgiving, sensitive, caring and supportive; but frustrated as no one tykes his advice
• The Guy: A charmer, who is quickly aroused, has no conscience and takes what he wants.
• The Mugger: A strong, quick criminal who has lots of experience in the crime field.
ARTISTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO DO THE FOLLOWING:
Acting Audition: Prepare a short storytelling piece of not more than 2 minutes.
Musical Audition: Prepare one song/rap piece.
Si Right! will perform at various schools in Kwa-Zulu Natal on the Playhouse mobile stage during July & August 2013.
Auditions will take place at The Playhouse Company - Room A1 on the 19th of February 2013.
Please call Tania Williams on 031 369 9467 between 9am and 4pm. No more bookings will be accepted after 1pm on Monday, 18 February 2013.
(Source - Pansa)
Valentine's Day Events
Frenchly Green ValentinesAlliance Française and Green Heart City present a romantic evening of French cinema, cuisine, live painting and music at Valentine’s.
The event kicks off at 6.30pm on Thursday 14 February with French love songs by Natalie Winter accompanied by Nicolas Creach on guitar.
A definite treat is live painting by well-known artist Steve Mandy. Guests are invited to watch him paint green hearts with French flair onto a dress sported by a model. Mandy’s live painting is a popular feature at various fashion weeks in Durban, Johannesburg and Cape Town.
A Deaf culture demo by Green Hearts will have guests making their partners swoon with ‘Will you be my Valentine?’ in sign language.
Teenage artists Kianja and Arianna will grace the festivities with timeless tunes from ‘Autumn Leaves’. Arianna’s virtuoso guitar playing and Kianja’s arresting lead vocals have received outstanding revues. Their brand of natural talent and charm merged with a special ‘je ne sais quoi’ is simply captivating.
The Alliance Française lawn provides the ideal backdrop for Valentine’s open-air cinema starting 7.30pm. ‘Donkey Skin’ (French with English subtitles) by Jacques Demy is based on a fairy tale by Charles Perrault (of Cinderella fame). The bizarre story concerns the king (Jean Marais) of a strange, enchanted land.
Guests have two options: Exquisite French picnic basket* + movie (R75); or popcorn + movie (R20). Vegetarian option available. Booking essential at 031 312 9582 or email@example.com.
A cash bar will be available at Café Saint-Germain, Alliance Française’s new French corner.
Alliance Française de Durban is situated at 22 Sutton Crescent (Cnr Sutton Crescent & Lilian Ngoyi (Windermere) Road), Morningside. Visit www.alliance.org.za.
(Source - Pansa)
Valentine's Weekend at The Catalina Theatre
(Source - The Catalina Theatre)